This one’s for the investors, game devs, and anyone with a SERIOUS interest in the blockchain gaming space.
Top video game academic Joost Van Dreunen has blessed us with an extremely insightful look at the state of the blockchain gaming industry.
- Blockchain games are the literal playground on which new and old game companies experiment, socialize, and discover the design rules of this novel technology.
- Talent — not capital or technology — will be the primary bottleneck
- Blockchain gaming companies are more likely to find success by catering to the existing games audience.
- Sustainable user acquisition centers on education and the removal of friction.
- Gamers are among the earliest adopters in gaming and tend to be disproportionately tech-savvy
- For NFT-based crowdfunding to reach its potential it will need to attract non-endemic, generalist investors and mainstream consumers
- Overall, incumbent digital store fronts and platforms are likely to be slow adopters…[which] leaves the field open to innovators that seek to push the limits on specific platforms, pricing, or content.
- Barriers to entry remain high: users confront a clumsy multi-step process to create a game account, set up a specific wallet to buy crypto, and return to a game to start playing.
Want to get content like this sent to your inbox? Sign up for the Crypto GameBites newsletter to get the top stories and news about the crypto gaming world delivered to you every Wednesday.
All investment strategies and investments involve risk of loss. Nothing contained in this magical newsletter should be construed as financial or investment advice. We’re just two brains connecting through cyberspace and shooting the shit about the wild world of blockchain gaming, where buzzwords like “crypto” and “NFTs” roam freely. Any reference to an investment's past or potential performance is not, and should not be construed as, a recommendation or as a guarantee of any specific outcome or profit. Remember to do your own damn research and don’t just ape into things like I did with all those shitcoins from the Spring 2021 bull run.